Surat, formerly known as Suryapur is a city in Gujarat. It is the regulatory capital of the Surat area. The city is situated 284 kilometers south of Gandhinagar. The downtown area is found 22 Km south of the Tapti River. A canal partitions the more established parts of the city with their thin lanes and chronicled houses from the more up to date suburbs. Surat had a population of about 4.5 million at the 2011 enumeration, making it the second biggest city in Gujarat after Ahmedabad.
POPULATION OF SURAT IN 2017:
As indicated by the 2011 India evaluation, the number of inhabitants in Surat is 4,462,002.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Surat in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –4.8 Million
- 2013 –5 Million
- 2014 –5.4 Million
- 2015 –5.7 Million
- 2016 – 6.04 Million
Taking a look at the population of Surat from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 1.24 Million in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 0.248 Million. Hence, the population of Surat in 2017 is forecasted to be 6.04 Million + 0.248 Million = 6.288 Million. So, the population of Surat in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 6.288 Million.
Surat Population 2017 – 6.288 Million(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF SURAT:
The city has a literacy rate of 89%, higher as compared to the national average of 79.5%. Male literacy is about 93% and female literacy is 84%. Males represent 53% of the population and females 47%.
Gujarati, Sindhi, Hindi, Marathi and Odia are the principle languages spoken in Surat. In Surat, 13% of its population is under 6 years of age. Surat additionally has a good number of Parsi and Jewish population.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF SURAT:
The population density of Surat is 1376 persons per square kilometer. The City is expected to be the most crowded city of Gujarat in the following one decade. While it recorded a population growth rate of about 65% somewhere around 2001 and 2011, the projections for the following decade are additionally high. Authorities at Surat Municipal Corporation gauge that the city’s population is prone to grow at a rate of more than 60% and by the year 2023 Surat will have around 80 lakh people living in the city. SMC authorities say that since the city’s growth rate is above 60%, it will grow quicker as compared to Ahmedabad.
The city saw a population growth rate of around 60 and 80% amid the most recent three decades. It is likely to maintain the persistent monetary improvement in and around the city.
FACTS ABOUT SURAT:
- The city is said to be mentioned in Sanskrit epic, the Mahābhārata, when Lord Krishna ceased there on his way from Mathura.
- In 1608, ships from the English East India Company began docking in the city, utilizing it as an exchange and travel point.
- The prosperity of the city got a blow when Bombay was surrendered to the English as a component of the share for Catherine of Braganza’s wedding to Charles II in the year 1662. Quickly thereafter, in 1668, the East India Company set up an industrial facility in Bombay and Surat started declining.
- Surat was the primary Indian city to introduce CCTV cameras on streets to screen the activity developments and expand security. There are different cameras on every roads of Surat.
- It is positioned as the fourth quickest developing urban city in the entire world.