Shillong is the capital and a beautiful hill station of Meghalaya. Shillong is also the headquarters of the East Khasi Hills locale and is located at an average elevation of 4,908 feet above sea level, with the most noteworthy point being Shillong Peak at 6,449 feet. Shillong has a population of 143,007 as indicated by the 2011 enumeration. It is said that the moving slopes around the town helped the European pioneers to remember Scotland. Henceforth, they likewise alluded to it as the Scotland of the East.
Shillong has consistently grown in size since it was made the common station of the Khasi and Jaintia Hills in the year 1864 by the British.
POPULATION OF SHILLONG IN 2017:
As per the 2011 India registration, Shillong City urban/metropolitan population numbered at 354,325 of which 176,591 are males and 177,734 females.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Shillong in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 – 151,608
- 2013 – 162,405
- 2014 – 169,694
- 2015 – 183,340
- 2016 – 198,246
Taking a look at the population of Shillong from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 46,638 in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 9327. Hence, the population of Shillong in 2017 is forecasted to be 198,246 + 9327 = 207,573. So, the population of Shillong in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 207,573.
Shillong Population 2017 – 207,573(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF SHILLONG:
The average literacy rate of Shillong is 86%, higher as compared to the national average of 63.5%. Khasis make up most of the population however the rate of Khasi individuals in the city keeps on falling as an aftereffect of the extensive number of vagrants from other Indian states. Christianity is practiced by 46.50 % of its population at the 2011 enumeration. Presbyterianism and different groups of Protestants and Roman Catholics make up the Christian population. A substantial extent of the population follow the original Khasi religion: Niam Khasi and Niamtre. Hinduism is represented in huge numbers in the city shaping around 42.00 % of Shillong’s population at 2011 registration .
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF SHILLONG:
The population density of Shillong is 234 persons per square kilometer. The population growth rate of Shillong has been enduring and this has brought about growing number of individuals. With the increase of population it has also made the quality of air bad in a way. The population growth rate has jumped significantly and there has been a considerable amount of people migrating to Shillong too.
FACTS ABOUT SHILLONG:
- The city is subject to fancies of the rainstorm. The rainstorm touch base in June and it rains nearly until the end of August. The weather is hot and moist amid summers yet very chilly amid winters.
- Shillong was a little town until 1864, when it turned into the new civil station of the Khasi and Jaintia hills. It remained the late spring capital of Eastern Bengal and Assam for a long time.
- The Elephant Gait and the Elephant Falls are situated close to Upper Shillong. These are lovely sights particularly in the stormy season and are famous outing spots among local people.
- Shillong Peak, the highest point of the city is situated 5 KM toward the south of the city and is 1961 meters in height.
- The Ward Lake is a significant tourist site of Shillong. It is a horseshoe-molded simulated lake lying underneath the Raj Bhavan.
Find Latest Shillong Population in 2018