Puducherry, previously known as Pondicherry is a Union Territory in India. It was framed out of four exclaves of French India, to be specific Puducherry, Karaikal, Yanam as well as Mahe. It is named after the biggest area Puducherry. Known as Pondicherry, the region changed its official name to Puducherry on 20 September 2006. Puducherry is situated in the south part of the Indian Peninsula. The territories of Puducherry and Karaikal are bound by Tamil Nadu, while Yanam and Mahe are encased by Andhra Pradesh and Kerala separately. Puducherry is the 29th most crowded and the third most densely populated state/UT in the country.
POPULATION OF PUDUCHERRY IN 2017:
According to the enumeration of 2011, the number of inhabitants in Puducherry is 1.2 Million.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Puducherry in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –1.25 Million
- 2013 –1.28 Million
- 2014 –1.3 Million
- 2015 –1.34 Million
- 2016 – 1.37 Million
Taking a look at the population of Puducherry from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 0.12 Million in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 0.024 Million. Hence, the population of Puducherry in 2017 is forecasted to be 1.37 Million + 0.024 Million = 1.394 Million. So, the population of Puducherry in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 1.394 Million.
Puducherry population 2017 – 1.394 Million(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF PUDUCHERRY:
Hinduism is the significant religion with 87% of the people following it. Different religions incorporate Christianity and Islam. French remained the official dialect as per the Treaty of Cession 1956 and the Government of Union Territories Act, 1963. As indicated by the treaty, the French language should remain the official language of the Establishments for a long time and elected representatives of the people should not decide. Tamil, Telugu as well as Malayalam are the three authority languages spoken. It additionally accommodates the utilization of the Malayalam and Telugu dialects in the Mahé and Yanam regions.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF PUDUCHERRY:
The population density is 2500 persons per square kilometer. According to the late evaluation reports, the growth of population in rustic zones remained at 21.07 as against 12.01 percent amid 1991-2001.
In urban territories the population growth is 31.07%, which is 10% greater than the growth rate enrolled in provincial areas. The growth rate in urban zones is 31.07% against the growth rate of 25.46% in the earlier decade.
FACTS ABOUT PUDUCHERRY:
- Some of Puducherry’s areas are themselves amalgamations of non-touching enclaves, regularly called pockets in India. The Puducherry locale is made of 11 such pockets, some of which are smally and altogether encompassed by the region of Tamil Nadu.
- The plan of the city depends on the French framework and features perpendicular boulevards. The town is partitioned into two segments: the French Quarter (White Town) and the Indian quarter (Black Town). Both the towns are somewhat different to each other.
- The gross state domestic product at market prices assessed by Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation with figures in crores of rupees grew from around 184 to 25,819 crore rupees from the year 1980-2014.
- A few landmarks in the city relate to the French time frame. A French Consulate is in Puducherry alongside social associations.
- The central government is all the more specifically involved in the territory’s budgetary prosperity unlike other states, which have a focal grant that they manage.
Find Latest Puducherry Population in 2018