Pondicherry is a city and a municipality in Puducherry locale in the union territory of Puducherry. It is warmly known as Pondy and has been authoritatively known by the option name Puducherry since 2006. Pondicherry is the provincial capital and biggest city in the region. The historical backdrop of the city is recorded simply after the landing of Dutch, British, Portuguese and French colonialists. A commercial center named Poduke is recorded as a Roman trading place from the mid first century. The area was a part of the Pallava Kingdom of Kanchipuram in the fourth century.
POPULATION OF PONDICHERRY IN 2017:
At the 2011 India registration, Pondicherry had a population of 675,000.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Pondicherry in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –688,000
- 2013 –701,000
- 2014 –710,000
- 2015 –721,000
- 2016 – 736,000
Taking a look at the population of Pondicherry from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 48,000 in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 9600. Hence, the population of Pondicherry in 2017 is forecasted to be 736,000 + 9600 = 745,600. So, the population of Pondicherry in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 745,600.
Pondicherry Population 2017 – 745,600(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF PONDICHERRY:
Males represent half of the population and females half. The city has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is about 82%, and female literacy is around 71%. In the city, around 11% of the population is below 6 years. The larger part of locals communicate in Tamil or Malayalam. There is a French community in Pondicherry and various French establishments, for example, aconsulate, the French Institute and L’Alliance Française. There is additionally a sizable group of Indians from different parts of India, including from West Bengal and Odisha.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF PONDICHERRY:
The population density is 9166 persons per square kilometer. The city has a steady population growth rate and with the increasing number of people relocating here is also a reason for its growing numbers in terms of population. Many people from Odisha have relocated or migrate here for various reasons. The population growth rate has been healthy over the years and it is expected that the pace of the population growth is set to continue in the coming years.
FACTS ABOUT PONDICHERRY:
- The French East India Company set up this town as their home office in 1674. Five exchanging posts were set up along the South Indian coast somewhere around 1668 and 1674. The town was divided by a waterway into the French Quarter and the Indian Quarter.
- The city comprises of 42 wards. Wards 1-10 are situated in north of the city. Wards 11-19 are situated in Boulevard Town and remaining wards are situated in the southwest of the downtown.
- The weather of Pondicherry is classified tropical wet and dry, like that of seaside Tamil Nadu. Summer starts from April to early June, when temperatures every now and again hit the 41 °C mark.
- The most ideal approach to exploring this picturesque town is on a bike or cruiser. Walking is likewise an extraordinary thought to douse up the beguiling environment of Pondy and a large portion of the significant sights are inside 2 KM of each other.
- The rainstorm and winter months are awesome to explore this beach front town. Winters, particularly, are perfect for touring, enjoying beach activities and water sports.
Now find the latest population of Pondicherry in 2019 here