Meerut is a city in Uttar Pradesh. It is an old city with settlements going back to the Indus Valley human civilization having been found in and around the region. It is situated 70 KM upper east of New Delhi and about 453 KM northwest of the state capital Lucknow. Amid the rule of the Mughal Emperor, Akbar the Great from 1556–1605, there was a mint for copper coins out here. During the decay of the Mughal Empire, after the demise of Aurangzeb, the city came viably under the control of the Saiyids of Muzaffarnagar in the north and the Gujars along the Ganges and in the south-west.
POPULATION OF MEERUT IN 2017:
According to the 2011 enumeration, the number of inhabitants in Meerut was 1,309,023. Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Meerut in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –1.32 Million
- 2013 –1.5 Million
- 2014 –1.65 Million
- 2015 –1.8 Million
- 2016 – 1.95 Million
Taking a look at the population of Meerut from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 0.63 Million in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 0.126 Million. Hence, the population of Meerut in 2017 is forecasted to be 1.95 Million + 0.126 Million = 2.076 Million. So, the population of Meerut in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 2.076 Million.
Meerut Population 2017 – 2.076 Million(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF MEERUT:
The sex proportion in the city is 888, lower than the state average of about 908; while the child sex proportion is 847, lower as compared to the state normal of 899. 12.41% of the population is under 6 years old. The general literacy rate is 78.29%, higher than the state average of about 69.72%. The city has a crime rate of 309.1, higher as compared to the state average of 96.4.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF MEERUT:
The population density of Meerut is 9200 persons per square kilometer. Meerut as a city has a good population growth annually and has resulted in an increase in the number of people living in the city. As compared to the census of 2001, the number of females living in the city grew rapidly and also the decadal population growth was much of 2011 as compared to the year of 2001.
FACTS ABOUT MEERUT:
- The name Meerut came from the Maya Rashtra. Mayasur was the Father in Law of Ravan and a famous Pandit of Ramayana. Mandodari, the spouse of Ravana was the local of Meerut and consequently city is otherwise called Ravan ki Sasural.
- First Revolt of Independence began from here in the year 1857, which is known as First War of Independence.
- Meerut was additionally the venue of the disputable Meerut Conspiracy Case in March 1929, in which a few exchange unionists, including three Englishmen were captured for sorting out Indian-rail strike. This instantly caught attention in England and propelled the 1932 play titled Meerut Prisoners.
- The last session of the Indian National Congress before Indian autonomy was held at Victoria Park in Meerut on 26 November 1946. In this session the Constitution advisory committee was constituted.
- In the year 2006, a fire at an electronics fair in Victoria Park Stadium killed about 100 individuals, with authorities officially affirming 45 fatalities, despite the fact that a particular figure on a toll was hard to put and was anticipated to be much higher.