Kanpur, once in the past known as Cawnpore is the twelfth most crowded city in India. It is the regulatory central command of Kanpur Nagar area and Kanpur division. It is the second biggest modern town in north India after Delhi. The name of the city is believed to be derived from Karnapur, meaning one of the hereos of the Mahabharata. Another hypothesis is that it originated from the adjacent town of Makanpur, prior known as Khairabad, where the Sufi saint, Badiuddin Zinda Shah Madar settled.
In the nineteenth century, the city was a significant British battalion with shelter for 7,000 troopers. Amid the Indian Rebellion of 1857, 900 British men, ladies and kids were attacked in the forts for about 22 days by rebels of Nana Sahib Peshwa.
POPULATION OF KANPUR IN 2017:
According to 2011 statistics, the city had a population of 2,701,324.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Kanpur in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –2.8 Million
- 2013 –2.84 Million
- 2014 –2.9 Million
- 2015 –3.02 Million
- 2016 – 3.5 Million
Taking a look at the population of Kanpur from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 0.7 Million in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 0.14 Million. Hence, the population of Kanpur in 2017 is forecasted to be 3.5 Million + 0.14 Million = 3.64 Million. So, the population of Kanpur in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 3.64 Million.
Kanpur population 2017 – 3.64 Million(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF KANPUR:
The dominant part of Kanpur’s population involves people from Western Uttar Pradesh. Be that as it may, Punjabi’s and Anglo-Indians have likewise settled in expansive numbers in territories of Swaroop Nagar, Azad Nagar and Civil Lines. While most of the population is Hindu, there is a huge Muslim minority population too. There are additionally small groups of Sikhs, Christians and Buddhists. According to 2011 registration, the literacy rate of Kanpur is 82.42%.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF KANPUR:
The population density of Kanpur is 1449 persons per square kilometer. The population growth of Kanpur is one of the highest in Uttar Pradesh and currently stands at a growth of 9%. There has been a large number of migration of people to the city and mostly due to employment by workers. The growing population is almost similar to that of Lucknow. It has been estimated that the current growth rate of population is going to continue in a similar pace in the coming years and expect a higher growth of population.
FACTS ABOUT KANPUR:
- Kanpur Airport has scheduled flights to Delhi. The closest International Airport is the Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport situated at Lucknow, which is about 77.1 KM from Kanpur.
- In the nineteenth century, Kanpur was an important British shelter for 7,000 troopers. Amid the Indian Rebellion of 1857, 900 British men, ladies and kids were attacked in the forts for about 22 days by rebels of Nana Sahib Peshwa. They surrendered on the terms that they would get protected passage to the adjacent Satti Chaura Ghat and from there they would board ships and be permitted to reach Allahabad.
- The world knows Kanpur as The Manchester of East in view of its extensive textile factories built up by huge British corporate houses.
- Kanpur was just a town when it was acquired in the year 1801 by the British, who made it one of their main stations.
- Kanpur was previously known as Cawnpore.
Now find the latest population of Kanpur in 2019 here