Jammu is the biggest city in the Jammu Division and additionally the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir. It is located on the banks of the Tawi River. Jammu is managed by a Municipal Corporation. It lies at uneven edges of low statures at the Shivalik slopes. It is encompassed by Shivalik range toward the north, while the Trikuta Range encompasses it in the north-west. It is around 600 kilometers from the national capital, New Delhi.
POPULATION OF JAMMU IN 2017:
As per the 2011 enumeration the number of inhabitants in Jammu was 612,163. Males represented 52.7% of the population, females numbered 47.3% of the population.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Jammu in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 – 654,685
- 2013 – 694,229
- 2014 – 710,394
- 2015 – 731,440
- 2016 – 749,505
Taking a look at the population of Jammu from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 94,820 in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 18,964. Hence, the population of Jammu in 2017 is forecasted to be 749,505 + 18,964 = 768,469. So, the population of Jammu in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 768,469.
Jammu Population 2017 – 768,469(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF JAMMU:
As of the 2011 enumeration the number of inhabitants in Jammu was 612,163. Males constituted about 52.7% of the population, females numbered 47.3% of the population. The sex proportion was 898 females for 1,000 males. It had an average literacy rate of 89.66%, much higher as compared to the national average of 74.4%: Male literacy was 93.13% and female education was 85.82%. In Jammu, (8.47% of the population) persons were under 6 years old. The greater part of Jammu and Kashmir’s Hindus live in the Jammu locale and are firmly identified with the Punjabi-speaking people groups in the Punjab state; numerous people speak Dogri, prior considered a tongue of Punjabi. Dogri is a lingo of Punjabi on the basis of linguistic use and vocabulary.
Complete Literacy rate of Jammu is 83.98%. This implies that 83.98 out of 100 persons of age over 6 years are proficient or literate. It is positioned 1 in terms of proficiency rate out of aggregate 22 regions of Jammu and Kashmir. Male Literacy of Jammu stands at 89.77% while female education remains at 77.41%.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF JAMMU:
The populace density of Jammu is 596 persons per square kilometer. The population growth of Jammu has been on the fluctuating side and in the recent years the trend will continue. Currently, the number of Muslim population has been growing at a rapid rate and the same can be said about the Hindu population.
FACTS ABOUT JAMMU:
- The city spreads around the Tawi waterway with the old city overlooking it from the north, while the new neighborhoods spread around the southern part of the stream.
- Numerous history specialists and local people believe that Jammu was established by Raja Jambu Lochan in the fourteenth century BC. Amid one of his hunting experience, he came to the Tawi River where he saw a goat and a lion drinking water at the same spot. Having fulfilled their thirst, the creatures went their own specific manners.
- Jammu has truly been the capital of Jammu Province and the winter capital of the east.
- Jammu, similar to the rest of north-western part of the country has a muggy subtropical climate.
- Jammu city is the primary social and monetary focal point of the administrative division of Jammu.
Find Latest Jammu Population in 2018