The city of Imphal is the capital of Manipur. The remnants of the Palace of Kangla, the regal seat of the past Kingdom of Manipur are in the downtown area, encompassed by a channel. It has a damp subtropical weather with gentle, dry winters and a hot rainstorm season. July temperatures are around 29 °C. January is the coldest month with temperatures dropping to 4 °C.
POPULATION OF IMPHAL IN 2017:
As indicated by the 2011 Indian statistics, Imphal’s population was 264,986. The number of inhabitants in the metropolitan zone was 414,288.
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Imphal in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 – 274,080
- 2013 – 291,346
- 2014 – 308,506
- 2015 – 321,089
- 2016 – 340,169
Taking a look at the population of Imphal from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 66,089 in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 13,217. Hence, the population of Imphal in 2017 is forecasted to be 340,169 + 13,217 = 353,386. So, the population of Imphal in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 353,386.
Imphal Population 2017 – 353,386(Estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF IMPHAL:
The number of educated individuals in the city was 219,261 as per the 2011 census. The city’s literacy rate was of 91.70% (95.87 for males and 87.80 for females). The city’s sex proportion was 1,055 females for 1,000 males. The sex proportion for kids was 939 girls to 1,000 boys. There was an aggregate of 25,877 kids from birth to age six in the city of about 13,347 boys and 12,530 girls, 9.77 percent of the city’s aggregate population.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF IMPHAL:
The population density of the city is 643 persons per square kilometer. The population growth rate has been steady for Imphal over the years and it is expected that the pace of growth will continue in the coming years. Compared to other Indian cities, the city hasn’t been up to the mark in terms of population growth and it has been seen that every year there is a high percentage of people migrating or leaving the city for a better future and living standards. There is hardly any number of people migrating to Imphal apart from those in the Army who are posted here. Therefore, the number of people in Imphal hasn’t been growing at a required pace and that has resulted in a slower growth of population of the city.
FACTS ABOUT IMPHAL:
- It was the site of a noteworthy victory in 1944 for British and Indian troops against the Japanese in World War II.
- Until the year 1813, when the city was conquered by the Burmese, it was the seat of the Manipuri Kings.
- Imphal International Airport is around 8 KM south of the city. It is the second-biggest international air terminal in Northeastern India with postal air-cargo service of 6 days a week. Another terminal building with cold storage facilities is being planned.
- Kangla Fort is situated on the banks of the Imphal River and is otherwise called the Palace of Kangla. Kangla implies dry land in the Meitei dialect. The fort was the royal residence of King Pakhangba and it also has religious centrality. In the fort there are various temples and it is encompassed on three sides by a lake.
- Jama Masjid is a holy spot for Muslims in Imphal. It is the main mosque in the Imphal market.
Now find the latest population of Imphal in 2019 here